Wednesday, April 2, 2008

"We'll wave like we're pretty."




If you took some of the things I love best, and you mixed them all together, like let's say:


Aimee Mann + FRENTE! + "The Science of Sleep" + Regina Spektor + Kimya Dawson + Ani DiFranco + "Amelie" + Erin McKeown + Feist + Jenny Owen Youngs + Sharpie markers + Sia + Dar Williams...

You might end up with Kate Micucci. Go now to KateMicucci.com (or her myspace page) and bask in her adorableness.

And come with me to see "Playin with Micucci" every last Monday of the month at the Steve Allen Theater.

Here's something I love about her lyrics that does *not* have to do with her utter adorability: she does this internal rhyme thing that I've always loved and found fascinating, where it isn't exactly the ends of lines that always rhyme, sometimes the rhyme is in the middle, or the rhymes come where you don't necessarily expect them. Also she doesn't settle for the easy ones... like in "Just Begun", she sings:
Can't you see that
You're not 63 yet?

instead of just going with the easier and more obvious:
Can't you see
You're not 63?


But of course, you just gotta listen or see her. Wow.

[Yes, of course I also love Tori Amos. No, I never got into Kate Bush. If you want to recommend or send me a specific song, I will try again.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought our musical tastes overlapped very much, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I have music Aimee Mann, Kimya Dawson, Erin McKeown, Feist and Sharpie Markers. Well, not so much music on that last one.

I'll bet I have an Aimee Mann album that you don't: "One More Drifter in the Snow".

-jjd

Unknown said...

i dont know who you are, but kate is my newest crush.

i love her.

i dont know how so much awesomeness can be contained in such a small body.