Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Two words: I'm not that clever.

There is a certain kind of totally-formulaic dumb joke that gets me EVERY TIME.

I'm telling you this because I recently saw it on "The Office" (yes, I don't have a TV, but I can rent DVDs). The guy says:
One word, two syllables: "demarcation."

Ha! Similarly, that thing Dave Barry does all the time:
But then the major oil-producing nations Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, and Texas got all snotty and formed an organization called OPEC, which stands for "North Atlantic Treaty Organization."

and yet a third variation, which also works for me:
Schick... has announced that it's coming out with a new razor that has... FOUR BLADES. Yes! It will be called the "Quattro," which is Italian for "more expensive."

and:
We also need to give serious thought to the issue of radicchio. I don't know about you, but I hate it when I order a salad, and instead of some nice, green lettuce, I get these scrawny sprigs of radicchio, which is Italian for "tastes so bad that even a starving goat spits it out."

Ha! God, I'm easy. But why is it always Italian?

3 comments:

Briane said...

I think Italians are the only ethnicity that everyone feels safe to call upon.

I always thought that Dave Barry pioneered that kind of joke, but The Daily Show does it a lot, too.

ReadDanceBliss said...

Poor Italians. I think this morning on NPR I heard someone say, "The Italian are just the French in a good mood."

Scot said...

How about the one from "Back to the Future" that Biff says, "Make like a tree and get outta here!"